Recipe: Creamy Spiced Orange Turmeric Rooibos Latte (Vegan, Gluten Free)

 


Having some extra mental capacity while I was staycationing inspired some creativity. I had some coconut milk left over from another recipe and started thinking about turmeric lattes. But I didn't just want a turmeric latte. And I couldn't find a recipe for the kind of drink I was craving, though a few did help guide me. So this is my take on an orange turmeric latte, drawing inspiration from Cotter Crunch and Fit Mitten Kitchen.

It was lovely and rich and one of those things that made me stop and close my eyes when I first tasted it, because I had a hard time processing how good it was. I hope you like it as much as I do!

This recipe makes either one pretty big drink or two smaller ones. Based on my own appetites, it was two, because I was having it with oatmeal, which is pretty filling. But if I had it with a lighter breakfast, like a fruit salad and/or a slice of toast, I'd drink the whole thing. As it was, I was at first a bit sad I was too full to finish it, then excited that it meant I got to have more later!

It's great iced, too, by the way, if you also want to save half for later and try that version!


Creamy Spiced Orange Turmeric Rooibos Latte
Serves: 1 large or 2 small lattes

1 rooibos tea bag, or another herbal tea of your preference
1/2 cup freshly boiled water
1/4 cup full fat coconut milk (the kind from a can)
1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup plant milk of choice (I used plain unsweetened soy)
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
A pinch of nutmeg
A few grinds black pepper
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

1. Start by brewing your strong rooibos tea. Pour the freshly boiled water over the tea bag in a large mug and set aside.

2. Then make your spiced creamy orange mix. Add all the remaining ingredients except the vanilla to a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat, whisking occasionally to incorporate everything, until it comes to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

3. Discard tea bag. Pour the creamy orange mix into the strong brewed tea and enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts