Sequestration Meal #663

 


Trader Joe's has fishless filets made from oyster mushrooms and jackfruit. Though delicious, I wanted to have more protein, so I found a way to make a more balanced (for me) way to serve them, with some RightRice risotto and a salad generously sprinkled with "Salad Toppins," a mixture of soy crumbles and seeds and such that is incidentally vegan and, as I recall, was far more popular in the 1980s.

So yes, this is processed food. Sometimes I need that. I have a lot going on!

Anyway. Though this isn't the best-plated of my meals, I really enjoyed it! The fishless filet was delicious with my homemade tartar sauce, and the other things kept me satisfied. The RightRice was the parmesan risotto flavor, which is the first of the flavored kind I've tried that hasn't been overwhelmingly strong. And sometimes I find it really fun to pull together a salad.

This salad had romaine, cucumber, mini bell pepper, tomato, red onion, blanched broccoli, and the aforementioned "Salad Toppins" with a dressing made from bottled light Italian mixed with some vegan mayo. (If you've been here for long enough, you know I don't keep any bottled salad dressing on hand except light Italian, and the primary reason I keep it on hand is to mix with a bit of mayo. It's the shortcut dressing I make when I don't want to go to the trouble of something more involved. Usually, I make my own salad dressings.)

If I were more up to it at the moment, sure, I could have made my own oyster mushroom fishless filets--I love oyster mushroom fishless filets--and maybe a salad dressing from scratch. But life is hard, and we have to do our best. This was, I suppose, my best. And I'm doing my best to accept what my best is.

It's a process. But the food is good, at least.

Comments

  1. yes sometimes life is hard - and harder for some than others - but all you can do is the best you can. So kudos for doing that and pulling off a put together meal.
    and thanks for the memory on the "salad toppers".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I prefer Bac'n pieces, but "Salad Toppins" are a good close second.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts