Sequestration Meal #661

 


Back to the daily grind...but still cooking on weekends, to ensure I have leftovers through the week. This is cheesy vegan barley and broccoli with white beans (recipe from The First Mess), some sauteed yellow squash, and improvisational tomatoes stewed with onions and garlic in a bit of vegan butter.

I had some things I needed to use, and this barley dish just plain sounded good, so I bought a jar of roasted red peppers and set forth. It was kind of annoyingly complex in terms of how many ingredients I used here, but it was also really delicious! It worked for what I needed it to do, and on this day, that was enough. If I were to make it again, I'd prep the cheesy red pepper sauce ahead of time, though, because otherwise, this is a tiny bit of a slog.

The squash was lovely, as I knew it would be. The tomatoes were mediocre at best but that's fine; I really just needed to use the tomatoes I had before they went bad. You can't have everything perfectly done all the time.

I'm now rolling into the season I focus on using what I have in order to minimize the length of my grocery trips, so I'll probably be doing a lot more of this sort of "just use it" style meals. If I have a bag of barley, some cashews, a can of white beans, etc., why not?

Stay safe out there.

Comments

Popular Posts