Lunchbots Quad #10

Avocado and cherry tomatoes, blackberries, some pineapple, baby carrots, and pinwheels made from sunflower seed spread (recipe below), spinach, and cucumber on a flour tortilla.

I haven't used this box in a while, but this meal just cried out for the symmetrical divisions. My camera was really fighting me so I only got one clear shot. Here's my best close up of the pinwheels:

Although I was inspired by a recipe for sunflower seed "tuna" salad, I don't think this is anything like tuna. It's more of its own thing. It's a good thing and it made for some awesome pinwheels, but let's not call a thing what it doesn't resemble on almost any level.

Here's my recipe, scaled down and simplified.

Sunflower Seed Spread
Serves: About 4

1/2 cup raw hulled sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Kosher salt to taste
1 tablespoon dried or fresh dill (I used dried)
1 tablespoon dried or fresh parsley (I used dried)
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 small stalk celery with leaves (from the heart of the celery, about half the height of your average stalk)
1/4 inch thick slice of red onion
Black pepper to taste

Put sunflower seeds in a jar and cover with water, at least enough to have 1/4 inch of water over the top. Seal the jar and set out at room temperature for 24 hours.

Drain sunflower seeds. Put half of the drained seeds, the lemon juice, the mustard, and a pinch of kosher salt in a food processor or blender and process until smooth (or as smooth as you can get it).

Chop the celery and onion a little to fit into your processor easily. Add them with the remainder of the ingredients and pulse until not quite smooth. You don't want whole seeds but this should not be a puree, either, so aim for something in between.

Serve as shown above or as a sandwich or cracker spread. Refrigerate leftovers.



Comments

  1. Your sunflower seed spread sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really enjoyed it. Tuna it is not, but it is a good thing in its own right.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts