Vegan Broccoli and Mushroom Quiche (Recipe)

We had a snow day last week, so I didn't pack a lunch. I took advantage of the extra time at home, though, to make something new to me:

Vegan quiche! More precisely, vegan broccoli and mushroom quiches. This made about 12 individual servings divided among my ramekins and tart pans (about 3 were crustless); it would otherwise make one 9-inch quiche. You can see the tart pan version above.

I veganized a basic Bisquick quiche crust and filled it with a recipe I found on The Spruce with some modifications. I froze some, so I'll report back later on how well they held up. I can already tell you that the leftovers were excellent. Here's a preview of tomorrow's lunch post (for the ramekin version):



The crust is totally optional; I just love crust so I made some. Crustless, this is more like a frittata. I gave some of the crustless ones to my downstairs neighbor, who has previously said we can't eat together because nothing in my diet is okay on hers (she's following very low-carb, no sugar diet, which involves a lot of meat and cheese). I said I figured I could come up with something we could both eat. She liked it! Mission accomplished.

Vegan Broccoli and Mushroom Quiche
Serves: 8-12

Crust:

1 1/4 cups Bisquick baking mix
1/4 cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance), softened
2 tablespoons boiling water

Filling:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 block of firm or extra firm tofu, patted dry
Pinch of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 cup soy milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Something to grease your pan(s) (I used vegetable shortening but you use whatever you usually do--the crust is unlikely to stick, but there is a chance the filling would if you're going crustless)

Grease your pans. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

To make the crust, mix Bisquick and softened vegan butter well, then add boiling water and stir very quickly to get your dough. Set aside to cool enough to handle.

Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet. Cook onion, pepper, broccoli, and mushrooms for about 8 to 10 minutes, salting halfway through cooking. Set aside.

Your crust should be cool enough to handle now. spread a layer of the crust dough on the bottom and sides of your prepared pans. You don't want it super thick--just thick enough to no longer be transparent.

Use a blender to mix tofu, nutmeg, turmeric, nutritional yeast, basil, milk, and about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper until smooth. Stir vegetables into tofu mixture.

Fill prepared crusts and/or pans with tofu mixture. Smooth out the tops--this will retain the shape it is in, more or less, while baking, so any funny pointy lumps will still be there when you're done. It doesn't have to be perfect, because it will smooth out a little, but still pay attention to it.

If using tart pans and/or ramekins instead of making a large pie, set your quiches on a cookie sheet for baking.

Bake for about 15-30 minutes, depending on the size of your quiches. They're done when the crust is golden and they spring back a bit when you lightly touch the tops.

Comments

Popular Posts