Happy Jackson Snack Boxes #51

An apple I was in too much of a hurry to arrange artfully, mixed nut butter (from Trader Joe's), vegan tuna salad, and Ritz crackers.

I made this salad because hearts of palm were on sale and I was intrigued. As much as I tried to remove the brine according to the instructions, though, my hearts of palm were still pretty tart in this salad. The texture was good, and it tasted good on crackers, but to me nothing about it suggested tuna.

I drew from the instructions given to housewives in the 1950s for this lunch: make up for a meal's deficiencies with dessert. That's why you see the mixed nut butter for dipping the apple into, because swapping a vegetable in for fish means you'll probably want more protein.

(I am not a medical doctor, however; I'm a historian. So take that as amateur food advice and consult your medical doctor about your particular dietary concerns.)

I took a break from potatoes, but fear not, potato lovers! More await me.

Comments

Popular Posts