Sequestration Meal #509


I have days where all I want to eat is veggies. On days like this, I look for ways to sneak in some protein and starch and still balance things out, and come out with a meal like this one: Butternut squash broccoli casserole (recipe from The Yummy Bowl), red potatoes with mushrooms (recipe from Cooktoria), and my favorite way to have brussels sprouts, which is boiled and tossed in vegan butter with some lemon juice and salt and pepper. (Roasted sprouts are good. They're just not as good as soft, buttery boiled sprouts, in my world.)

I chose two recipes that used coconut milk so I'd find it easier to get through the can, though I cut both in half and ended up with a lot of coconut milk anyway. (Not a problem. There are tons of things I can do with that.) Both were creamy and delicious. I am not as keen on red potatoes when compared to my usual Yukon Golds, but the store was out, and we do what we need to do. I think this was the perfect recipe for red potatoes.

The chickpeas and pumpkin seeds in the butternut squash and broccoli casserole are what make this have a bit more protein. Because this day otherwise involved a lot of hefty proteins from tofu, etc., this was fine; I also ended up making myself a chocolate smoothie for dessert with soy milk that balanced everything out.

I don't know why I have these veggie-craving days, but I do know that they rarely came up for me before I was vegan, whatever that may signify. Here's to meeting ourselves where we find ourselves.

Comments

  1. Somtimes I also get a craving for a huge pile of vegetables and nothing else will do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts