Sequestration Meal #515

 


A simple, veggie-forward meal: Broccoli, lemony carrots with yellow squash (recipe from American Wholefoods Cuisine (1983)), and Spanish rice and beans with Spanish olives (recipe from Dishing Out Health).

I'm not sure this stuff really went together, but somehow it still worked out. This lemony carrots and squash recipe, however, would go better with a marinated tofu steak and rice pilaf, given that it has some "honey" (rice nectar) and cinnamon in it. We live, we learn, we move on.

I substituted about 2/3 of a can of diced tomatoes and green chiles for the fire roasted tomatoes in the Spanish rice and beans recipe, which made it a fair bit spicier but still not too overwhelming to me. I liked the touch of adding Spanish olives. I seem to want to stick their briny goodness everywhere these days.

I'm kind of amazed the yellow squash had held up so well, since I bought it about three weeks ago, but I do know how to store my veggies to maximize their longevity--a COVID-related skill I'm glad I have. If I'd consciously planned to avoid the store for this long I would have bought a lot more last time I was there. But if I gave myself the option of going and just kept plodding along, I somehow found my way anyway, and on some level I knew I would do that. Isn't life funny?

This one happens to be free of all major allergens, too, if you need something like that.

Comments

Popular Posts