Sequestration Meal #675

 


There is still steam coming up off my bowl here, so please forgive the effect in the photo! More use-what-you've-got food: tomato herb rice with white beans and spinach (recipe from Budget Bytes), carrots and snow peas (recipe from Taste of Home, veganized with vegan butter), and some yellow and orange bell peppers and onions sauteed in some olive oil.

I had part of a can of white beans left after the meatloaf I made, so I made this rice dish to use them up. I had everything else on hand anyway, though I did substitute plain petite diced tomatoes for the fire roasted--I never seem to buy fire roasted tomatoes, though probably I ought to. It was tasty. I used to make something like this, just winging it, quite a lot of the time, but I haven't in a long time. My--admittedly "mild"--efforts to reduce my pantry stocks a bit should encourage more meals like this, I hope.

The world is scary and food is pricey these days, but somehow, I'm endlessly reassured by the presence of rice and beans. So versatile, delicious, and usually pretty cheap--a bit of reassurance in the midst of it all.

Comments

Popular Posts