Sequestration Meal #681

 


It was raining this weekend, in that sort of relentless way that keeps you inside and hiding under blankets--the part of spring nobody talks about. But this means having the oven on, at least, and so for me, in my gentle using-stuff-up mode, that meant an improvisational cheesy broccoli-mushroom rice casserole with a cracker topping, a slice of glazed Tofurky ham roast, and some carrots swimming in parsley butter (vegan butter, obviously).

I've thought of pulling out this ham roast probably on an every other week basis for months now, and finally did it. So that was point one on the use-it-up scorecard.

I got a few more points for this casserole, which used several things I almost always have on hand, like onions, broccoli, mushrooms, and long grain rice. I made my favorite recipe for a cashew-and-sweet-potato-based cheese sauce, and mixed that up with the veggies I'd sauteed in some vegan butter and the rice. I topped the casserole with the end of a box of Ritz crackers I smashed and mixed with a bit more vegan butter. It was lovely, but I was not surprised by that. I have always loved this kind of casserole (carbs + veggies + cheese + cracker topping).

All in all, an excellent meal, and I'm doing well with keeping steady in working with what I have.

Comments

Popular Posts