Recipe: Coconut Cream of Rice (Vegan, Gluten Free)

I found a new thing to love in my ongoing quest to make cream of rice more exciting. This was born out of the fact that I had a partially-used can of coconut milk opened in my fridge that needed to be used up. But it turned out so well, I had to share it! It's a bit like having warm rice pudding for breakfast, and all of the required ingredients and most of the optional toppings are shelf-stable, so if you're getting your groceries by mail, you will probably still be able to make it.

Coconut Cream of Rice
Serves: 1

For the porridge:
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
Dash of salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup cream of rice

Optional toppings:
Agave nectar
Non-dairy creamer
Cinnamon
Coconut flakes
Berries

Bring water, coconut milk, salt, cinnamon, and sugar to boil in a small saucepan. Slowly whisk in cream of rice and cook, whisking constantly, for about 30 seconds or until thickened. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 minute.

To serve, put the cream of rice in a bowl and drizzle agave nectar and non-dairy creamer over the top. Sprinkle on coconut flakes, berries, and cinnamon, as desired.

Comments

  1. Is your cream of rice a tinned product or a cereal type thing? Seeing this post inspired me to do some more research into cream of rice. I assumed it was some tinned pudding type thing (the only thing a search for cream of rice brings up in our online shops here is a nonvegan tin of vanilla creamed rice, which I now realise maybe is different to cream of rice?), but then I was looking up in general and some homemade recipe and it looks like maybe it is a dry cereal sort of thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is cream of rice: https://www.creamofwheat.com/product/stove-top-cream-of-rice

      It's sold next to the miscellaneous porridges, like cream of wheat, farina, and oatmeal.

      Delete
    2. Oooohhh.... OK, it all becomes clear to me now. I was thinking of it as something completely different and confusing it with creamed rice. We still don't have any cream of rice cereals here, but now I know what I'm looking for if any do come out!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts