10 Vegan Breakfast Ideas (Compilation #61)

Is it spring now? Sometimes it's still quite cold, and although that's how I like it, it doesn't feel so much like winter is thawing. And sometimes I'm making things based almost entirely on what I have on hand, whether or not it makes sense in season. And also for some reason lately I've been craving berries, which are more of a summer thing. So this is a springy compilation, and not-springy. It involves more savory things and more vegetables than may be typical for me. If you want sweet stuff, that's here, too, don't worry. But if you have been looking for something else from my compilations, this might be your favorite one yet.

Or maybe you'll have a hard nope to everything; who can say until we can say?


1. Quinoa Veggie Frittata (Gluten Free, Nut Free, Soy Free)


Quinoa in a frittata? Why not? We're vegans; we make our own rules. This recipe is from Pure Wow. It makes for a great breakfast! I made my frittata alongside some sweet potatoes roasted while it baked and a cucumber-tomato salad. If you need a comforting, savory start to your day, you can consider this as an option--plus, it's free of all major allergens!

2. Waffles with Strawberry Syrup and Blueberries (Nut Free)


Waffles are a rare treat for me, mostly due to me not yet figuring out the right amount of batter to put in the waffle maker (too much in this case meant overflow and a mess...sigh). But sometimes, you just need a waffle. That's where this recipe from A Couple Cooks comes in. It's a basic waffle recipe that goes along with a lovely strawberry syrup recipe. I added blueberries for garnish, and followed the original recipe's advice to serve the waffles with peanut butter. This was really good! And the syrup helped to sweeten my not-yet-berry-season berries perfectly.

3. Savory Beet, Carrot, and Oat Bake (Gluten Free, Soy Free Option)


While we're on the subject of baked veggie-heavy breakfasts for the fans of savory things, this recipe is from Nirvana Cakery was also great. If you want to try something that is unusual but delicious, I highly recommend it! It comes with vibrant colors and an enticing flavor profile. I enjoyed this with vegan breakfast sausages and sliced banana in the morning.

4. Peanut Butter Quinoa Flakes with Cinnamon Apples and Soy Yogurt (Gluten Free)


I had some apples in the fridge from who knows when, and even though this was not remotely spring-like, I am using what I've got, so I set forth to make myself breakfast out of them. Confronting my pantry revealed a largely-forgotten bag of quinoa flakes, too, so on the day before grocery shopping I made this recipe for peanut butter quinoa flakes porridge from Delicious As It Looks, and topped it with some basic cinnamon apples, some vanilla soy yogurt, and drizzles of more peanut butter and maple syrup. I don't know if it looks delicious, but it definitely was delicious.

5. Toasted Coconut Spirulina Latte with Pitaya Powder Garnish (Gluten Free)


Although this is a beautiful drink, it's also a lovely coconut flavor! You can find the recipe at Clean Eating. I substituted agave nectar for the honey, and the pitaya powder garnish was my own idea (partly to use up my pitaya powder). The one thing I will say in the negative column is that straining the coconut solids was a little annoying, but I did still enjoy the drink, possibly because I was so pleased with how it looked! I had this with some toast with chia jam.

6. Tempeh Bacon Pancakes with Peanut Butter Syrup


I had a few slices of tempeh bacon, and I was looking for something a bit different to do with them, so I made this recipe from My Quiet Kitchen. I cut the recipe in half, and it ended up making four pancakes. I decided to save half for later and top two with peanut butter syrup, so I could make more than one breakfast that morning (I usually do try to meal prep at least some of my breakfasts). It was a perfect combination and all I needed to round out my meal was a glass of orange juice and a cup of tea.


7. Almond Poppy Seed Muffins


These muffins were like cake for breakfast in the very best way. The recipe is from Censored Baker. I loved the flavors here--sometimes you need a change from a citrusy poppy seed muffin, and this is perfect. The texture was light and fluffy, and because I cut the recipe in half and alternated the muffin cups, they rose to have beautiful, high domes. To round out my meal, I had my muffin with soy yogurt, an orange, and a soy latte. Now if only I can figure out what to do with the rest of the ridiculous quantity of poppy seeds I have...

8. Whole Wheat English Muffins with Mustard, Mushroom-Walnut Pate, and Cornichons (Soy Free)


About six years ago, I gave you this recipe for mushroom walnut-pate. I was really proud of it, and I've made it many times, but I don't know if I have had it for breakfast. It was somehow calling to me recently. As I was in use-it-up mode, and I had all the fresh ingredients plus an open jar of cornichons I seem to never get around to eating, I made this delightful savory breakfast. I started by toasting a whole wheat English muffin, then spread it with my favorite mustard of all time, a champagne dill mustard. (So delicious!) On top of that, I spread the pate, and then topped it with slivers of cornichons. I had this with a berry salad, a soy latte, and more cornichons. Unconventional? Perhaps. But amazing anyway.

9. Berry Pineapple Salad with Spiced Simple Syrup (Gluten Free, Nut Free, Soy Free)


This fruit salad recipe is found at The Kitchn. Spring is pineapple season, and oh, my goodness, what a pineapple! But add some gingery, cinnamon-infused syrup as a dressing with strawberries and blueberries, and you'll have something good enough to get you out of bed in the morning. I had this with more of the English muffins with mushroom-walnut pate and soy-based lattes.

10. Zucchini Bread Quinoa Breakfast Cookies (Gluten Free, Soy Free)


Cookies, for breakfast? Sometimes they're just the thing! As I was looking for ways to use my quinoa flakes, I found this recipe from Simply Quinoa. It's full of goodness--zucchini, obviously, but also peanut butter, chia seeds, oats, quinoa flakes, banana, and flax. They were remarkably simple to prep the night before and have breakfast waiting in the morning. To balance things out here, I made an arugula ginger pineapple smoothie, and felt smug all morning knowing I'd had my fruit and veggies and grains already.

Comments

Popular Posts