Staycation Meal #15

 


I desperately needed a break, so I found a few days in my schedule that weren't filled with meetings (by some miracle), rescheduled everything else, and gave myself a long weekend. For that reason, you're going to see some staycation meals this week, but they're also use-it-up mode meals, too. You may not see as many posts for this week, but I don't know yet. I had a much lazier weekend than is typical, and I didn't cook as much, but that was just what I needed.

So here we have a corn muffin (recipe from Connoisseurus Veg) and some (Tofurky) mushroom, ham, and wild rice soup. For the soup, I was guided in part by an omnivore recipe from Daring Gourmet, though I cut it in half and veganized it.

The substitute I used for heavy cream was unsweetened soy milk and olive oil, because that's what I had. Cashew cream would probably have been just as good or better, and likely the best thing would have been some vegan half-and-half, but I basically never buy that anymore anyway due to inflation and other stressors. But you know what? It was good. It definitely did the job. I would easily have it again that way, in similar circumstances. And therefore, I won this round!

In terms of using stuff up, this was amazing. Because I was staycationing a bit, I chose not to go to the grocery store on my usual schedule, to work my way through some stuff at home first. I had some wild rice in my pantry and leftover Tofurky ham, so that was what initially prompted me to make this recipe. I generally have the other ingredients--onions, celery, carrots, garlic, mushrooms, and assorted seasonings--on hand anyway. This was something from "nothing" soup in that respect. And it was delicious.

Comments

Popular Posts