Recipe: Tropical Tofu Smoothie

There was a recipe in the 2006 All-New Complete Cooking Light Cookbook for a tropical tofu smoothie. But just like the last recipe I tried from them, I felt I could improve it. The nutmeg was an intriguing addition to a smoothie, so I kept that. I also liked that it had tofu in it. This felt very old school to me; my mother made a lot of tofu smoothies when she discovered tofu somewhere around 1996. But she had yet to discover how much of a difference a bit of frozen fruit makes--and apparently so had Cooking Light!

Anyway. I still used fresh pineapple, but it was a lot better with frozen strawberries rather than fresh. Also, I substituted frozen bananas for the yogurt in the original recipe, which I think was a pretty significant improvement. So here we are.

Tropical Tofu Smoothie
Serves: 1

1/3 cup silken tofu
1/2 cup cubed, chilled pineapple
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1/4 to 1/2 of a frozen banana
2 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
Dash of nutmeg

Blend tofu, pineapple, strawberries, banana, orange juice, and sugar in a blender until smooth. Sprinkle with a dash of nutmeg. If desired, garnish with a fresh pineapple chunk. Serve.

Comments

  1. I love tofu smoothies, they are an excellent way to use up random bits of leftover silken tofu from recipes that don't use the whole box. I will normally end up making some sort of smoothie with the extra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the reason I made this in the first place! So yes.

      Delete
  2. Very refreshing, made this today and it was a beautiful pink color! I invested in some fresh nutmeg so this was a good use for that too. Skipped the sugar so had a little tartness from the strawberries.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts