Sequestration Meal #166

 

I think I've survived quarantine life thus far in part thanks to YouTube. Recently, I was reminded of an endearing non-vegan channel I used to watch, Great Depression Cooking, where an elderly woman named Clara showed people meals she used to eat in the 1930s. Several other channels have made their own version of her original recipe, the "Poor Man's Meal." It consists of potatoes and onions fried in vegetable oil with some sliced hot dogs and tomato sauce.

If you think about it, this is a classic combo--potatoes, hot dogs, and tomato sauce might as well be hot dogs and fries with ketchup. So when Lightlife veggie hot dogs went on sale, I bought them to try in this, even though Lightlife hot dogs are far from my favorite. They turned out really well in this, probably because they crisped up a bit when cooking.

It's not that exciting of a meal--and certainly not the most nutritious of all possibilities--but it got me in the kitchen and gave me a new flavor to experience. I'm dusting myself off all the time now, but there's a lot of dust to collect. And it reminded me that there is at least some continuity with our struggles and those other people in history have faced.

Here's Clara's original video with the recipe, which you can easily make vegan with vegan hot dogs:



Comments

  1. This sounds really good and comforting. I must make this. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts