Sequestration Meal #440

 


Because I could bake it in the toaster oven and knew how delicious it was, even though it requires a lot of baby-sitting from beginning to end and takes a little over four hours start to finish, I just needed to make tofu ham. But not just any tofu ham. The tofu ham of our dreams: the Vegan Travel Eats recipe for pineapple-glazed tofu ham. I made mashed potatoes and carrots and celery with pecans (the carrots and celery recipe is from Taste of Home, veganized easily with vegan butter).

Was it tons of effort? Yes. Did I regret it? No. This remains, bar none, the very best tofu ham there is. I would make this for a holiday main dish and make the non-vegans jealous. It is delicious. And maybe it's not fair to call it effort, so much as just time. There is a difference between things that are hard, and things that are time consuming, and this belongs to the "things that are time consuming" realm, really. If you can stir and cut a block of tofu up, you can make this. It's just that you have to allot about 4.5 hours from beginning to end.

I used fresh dill rather than dried in the carrots this time; it was great. I loved this the first time I made it and I still love it now. It's an easy recipe that uses ingredients I almost always have on hand, plus those ingredients are mostly pretty cheap. (I'm starting to think about nuts in terms of cost-per-serving and a pound of pecans lasts a long time; it is no more pricey from that perspective than the other things are.)

I think, however, that the recipe makes too much glaze for this amount of tofu ham, so next time I'll cut it in half (if I remember to do it--I think I said this last time, too).

Comments

Popular Posts