Sequestration Meal #441

 


I'm not sure what got into me here, but I had all this stuff on hand, and I wanted to make it, so here is some Indian-style food: Turmeric rice with cashews and dried cherries, eggplant and potatoes in a garlicky tomato sauce, and spiced peas with onions and orange bell pepper. It's colorful, in any case, and not in the most typical of ways! It's also a good example of one of my "but I don't want to have a major protein" rebel meals, eaten at the end of an otherwise high-protein day, and with layers of protein added in with the cashews and peas.

The rice was something I chose because I'm still trying to figure out how to use up my dried cherries, and it was the start of this meal. It didn't go super well with the other things, but I ate this meal kind of in courses, and that worked--if I were serving this again, I would probably put it alongside a simple protein like a tofu steak. In any case, this recipe is from Cookin' Canuck, and although I might make some tweaks to it next time, it was an excellent use of dried cherries and I'd probably make it again.

The eggplant recipe is from Vegan Sandra, although I just had a can of diced tomatoes rather than crushed. It was pretty good, but make sure you cook it much longer than suggested--eggplant takes a while and if you don't cook it down properly you won't enjoy it.

The peas were a semi-protested afterthought (for the protein), and although I am still not the absolute biggest pea fan, this was pretty good! You can find the recipe at Culinary Ginger. I made changes based on what I had--an orange bell pepper rather than red, and I left out the mint--but it worked.

Comments

Popular Posts