What I Ate in a Day #14

June is all about fruit for me. This is an unusual day I'm sharing with you, because it is so heavy on fruit and relatively light on veggies. But hey. It's June. This is the month of cherries and peaches and berries and one can't get excited about veggies when there are cherries and peaches and berries.

This is also a modern take on the suggested daily menus I've been finding in the old vegetarian magazines I occasionally mention as giving me inspiration. This is a 19th-century day, with heavy emphasis on (giant) breakfast, a light lunch, and a moderate dinner. I don't know what it was about the 19th century that made people eat gigantic breakfasts, but I think they got in my head. I only recognized the pattern after the fact.

For my first meal of the day, I had pulled a cinnamon pear muffin out of the freezer that I had baked in cooler weather. I had this with soy milk, herbal tea, a tiny non-dairy yogurt and granola parfait, and a fruit salad to write home about: Bananas, peaches, clementine segments, mango, strawberries, blueberries, and fresh cherries in a poppy seed citrus dressing. So good.

Aside from 19th-century influences, which commanded me to have fruit, some kind of bread, milk or juice, cereal, and an optional hot drink for breakfast every day, on this day I wasn't going to get to eat lunch until about six hours after breakfast, so it needed to be hearty.

For lunch there was more fruit (strawberries, blueberries, and mango), off-brand Ritz crackers with Violife cheddar triangles and some of my favorite vegan "ham" salad (recipe from Booming Platter), a cherry chocolate energy bite (recipe from Real Food Dietitians), and some dark chocolate with almonds. I really love these kind of "Lunchables" type meals. The combination of the buttery crackers with the cheese and "ham" salad (made of tofu and smoked almonds) is amazing.

At dinner, I had leftovers: Some spaghetti with a jarred sauce mixed with homemade TVP ground beef and some non-dairy mozzarella, some steamed broccoli and carrots (because I needed to get some more veggies in--though there were some in the sauce, too), and garlic toast.

Not pictured, I also had more herbal tea, a multivitamin, a DHA supplement, and a couple of pieces of salt water taffy a co-worker brought back from a recent trip to the Jersey Shore. Shriver's is vegan and so good. I once drove all the way to Ocean City just to buy some. But I didn't take any photos of it, sorry!

Do you like a big breakfast in the morning? Or do you prefer a hearty lunch? Or both?

Comments

Popular Posts