Recipe: Fresh Corn Chowder (Vegan, Gluten Free, Nut Free)

 


I've given you this recipe before, but it was buried in a packed lunch post, so here it is again: fresh corn chowder. It's creamy, it's flavorful, it's vegan, it's gluten free, and it's nut free. I'm so glad the store had that ridiculous sale for 8 ears of corn for $2 (must buy 8), so I could make this delightful meal again, with a photo that does it more justice than the last time you saw it.

I've gotten questions about this before, so I'll make it as clear as I can: You want to shuck the corn, and remove the silks, and then cut the corn off the cobs, but retain the cobs, and then, you'll be simmering those cobs in the soup so they give off their milky flavors to the soup, and you won't put the kernels in until later, so they stay fresh-tasting and bright.

This recipe was inspired by the Joy of Cooking version, which gave me the cobs-in-the-broth idea, but Joy isn't vegan, and also their recipe makes a much bigger batch. This is just enough to serve three, but you can easily double this recipe if you want.


Fresh Corn Chowder (Vegan, Gluten Free, Nut Free)
Serves: About 3

1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 slices tempeh bacon (or other veggie bacon of choice), chopped
3 small ears of corn, husks and silk removed
2 1/4 cups soy milk (both sweetened and unsweetened will work here; I used unsweetened but have used both with good results)
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black or white pepper
1/2 tablespoon vegan butter (make sure it's nut free if you're avoiding nuts)
Chives, for garnish (optional)


Heat olive oil in a pot large enough to allow a corn cob to lie down in it (you'll need to do that later). Add onions and celery and cook, stirring frequently, over medium-low heat until softened and browned slightly, about 15 minutes Stir in tempeh bacon and cook a bit until slightly crisped, about 2-3 minutes.

Meanwhile, remove the kernels from the corn cobs and reserve the kernels in a separate container.

Add corn cobs, soy milk, and potato to the onions-celery-bacon mixture and bring to a boil. Do your best to submerge the corn cobs in the soup. Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer, cover, and cook, turning the corn cobs and stirring occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.

Remove and discard the corn cobs. Add the reserved corn kernels, salt, and pepper and continue to simmer, covered, stirring occasionally until the corn is tender, which should take about 5 minutes.

Transfer 3/4 cup of the soup to a blender using a slotted spoon. (I used an immersion blender and a tall measuring cup for this.) You want solids, not the liquid, here. Puree the veggies until smooth, then return to the pot and mix well.

Add vegan butter. Remove from heat and cover. When the butter is melted, stir well. Garnish bowls with fresh chives. Serve.

Comments

  1. Ooooh, this looks fabulous. Also makes me laugh because of the corn song that is doing the rounds at the moment. But I do love corn! I have done the cobs in the broth method before, I think it was an Isa recipe. It definitely makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard the corn song and had to look it up. I don't know what to make of that at all! But in any case, yes, throw cobs in soup; they work miracles.

      Delete
    2. My brother had never heard the corn song so while he was visiting I decided to try and implant it in his head, but I also have injured myself in this process because now it is constantly in my head. It's corn! I did rewrite the words so I could sing it to Boo though, so that was nice.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts