Sequestration Meal #478

 


I almost never deep fry things. Frying things is challenging and then you have to figure out what to do with the oil. But for some reason, this summer, I was haunted by fried okra, which, if I were in another part of the country and not vegan, would be very easy to find in a drive through. If I want fried okra I have to make it from scratch, and that's usually enough of an impediment. But...

So here we have fried okra (made from the recipe at Cilantro & Citronella), some fresh corn cut off the cob and cooked with onions and red bell pepper (roughly inspired by a non-vegan recipe that is easily veganized by swapping in vegan butter), and some Wegmans Don't Be Chicken nuggets with a little cup of homemade dip (ranch, essentially). This is the sort of meal one could get from one of those drive throughs that aren't vegan and aren't in my part of America anyway.

I used up my last ear of fresh corn, and I used up my okra, and I made myself a nice meal, even if it isn't the absolute most photogenic of things. Fried okra is taking a green veggie and coating it in a beige batter before deep frying it, and that, though delicious, isn't all that pretty. However, today I am choosing to care less about how good things look in pictures, because I was happy with this.

Comments

  1. Excellent committment to the deep frying! I have only ever tried it twice and it didn't really work too well but I think that was because I was freaking out about it because it terrifies me so I didn't really use enough oil or get it hot enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It spattered a lot. Probably not my finest kitchen moment! But you didn't get to see me yelping and making messes.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts