Dinner Bowl #18

 

I am leaning hard into fall. It may not really be cool enough yet for it to be full-on autumnal, but I don't care. I'm ready to turn a page on summer. So I made a very autumnal meal with this basmati rice and beet greens and lentil curry (recipe from Your Vegan Family).

I served it with some sambal oelek because I felt it needed more spice, but otherwise I had it as written, made with red lentils and simmered a bit longer to soften the beet greens and stems more than they were after the suggested 10 minutes. I made the full batch, because I didn't know what else to do with all the beet greens I had, and stuck some in the freezer for future me to have one day when I'm not up to cooking. 

Although I think this is a lot soupier than my preference would be--if I made this again I would use less broth--I did really enjoy it. I genuinely wish I could buy beets without the greens sometimes, but my local store doesn't sell them that way, so I'm stuck, I guess, always having to find ways to eat the greens. There are worse things, of course. I enjoy the things I make with the greens. It feels nourishing, in any case.

And hey, I got to use some mustard seeds and cumin seeds in this, which I unearthed from some forgotten corner of my spice cabinet, so that's good, too!

Comments

  1. This dish looks so warming and comforting! I don't blame you for leaning into autumn, it's the best time of year! It's still too hot here but I can't wait to join you in fall mode!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not quite cool enough for me to be in full fall mode, but I'm leaning into it anyway!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts