Oval Dish #1

 My naming conventions need some work, probably, but hey.

I find it easier at some times to stick to the use-it-up plans than others, and I guess this was one of those times! What we have here is some brown rice, gochujang mushrooms, leftover TVP Sloppy Joe filling, an improvisational broccoli and tofu salad, and a bit of my own recipe for cucumber-carrot salad in a "honey" sesame dressing.

I came up with this because I had a little bit of the TVP Sloppy Joe mix, and I thought it would be good with Asian-inspired flavors, plus I had a half block of tofu that needed using. I made a marinade for the tofu and gently tossed it along with some blanched broccoli and let that sit while everything else was being prepped. It was a pretty good effort--not perfect, but good--and helped add a little more protein and some veggies to the meal.

Otherwise, I knew I'd like everything anyway! I am getting more used to brown rice, and I'm so glad I splurged on the good stuff. It's never going to be as delicious as white rice is, and I'm never going to exclusively use brown (okay, at least, I don't think I am--I also said I'd never go vegan, so...), but it's nice to have that extra boost of nutrients. As I am apparently going back into a "need to find the protein in layers" phase, because I haven't been doing so great, it's nice to know, too, that brown rice has more protein than its white counterpart. It's not enough to make a difference under most circumstances, but sometimes I need all the help I can get.

This is tagged gluten free, but make sure your soy sauce is gluten free if you make this. Many soy sauces contain gluten.

Comments

  1. I love all of your dishes, you have the best presentation! This sounds very delicious, you come up with the most creative ways to use up your ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. didn't know that about the brown rice - thanks as i struggle to get those proteins in to. I like the idea of layering them vs going for one big one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might or might help--the difference is very minimal. But I am trying to layer it in as it is possible to do. A serving of white rice has 4.3 grams of protein, so says the internet. A serving of brown rice has 5 grams. But sometimes that helps me, at least, knowing that I can find a gram here and there to boost things.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts