10 Vegan Breakfast Ideas (Compilation #62)

I guess I won't be satisfied until I have had all the breakfasts. Here, apparently I was also trying to stick veggies in almost everything, sweet or not. And when it was sweet, I was apparently obsessed with berries. But nothing wrong with that, right?


1. Asparagus Leek Pancakes with Apple Miso Mayo


This was a recipe from Food52. It screamed spring, with its asparagus, leeks, and spinach, plus I was intrigued by the idea of making mayo from apples. I had to substitute doenjang for the miso because I was out, but it still tasted delicious. I served my savory pancakes with some cherry tomatoes with sea salt and pepper and (off camera) a veggie sausage. I really love pancakes in virtually every form, but something about savory pancakes is really special. The apple mayo was tangy and a bit salty, and went really well with this. I'm glad I made it rather than just going with plain yogurt (as was also an option).


2. Rocky Road Blended Baked Oats (Gluten Free)


This looks like cake, but it's oatmeal! I used the recipe from Hello Spoonful without protein powder and with some maple syrup instead of liquid stevia. I probably should have used more maple syrup because it wasn't as sweet as I would have liked, but I'll know to do that next time or just learn to deal with it because shouldn't something with marshmallows and chocolate be sweet enough? Anyway. What this is, is oats blended with banana, chia seeds, soy milk, and flavorings before folding in walnuts and sticking that in a greased single-serve casserole dish. I topped it, per the original recipe's suggestion, with vegan mini marshmallows, mini dark chocolate chips, and more walnuts. I am not that into rocky road ice cream because I don't tend to care for nuts in my ice cream, but I really liked the nuts in this!

3. Fruit Plate (Gluten Free, Nut Free, Soy Free)


I am who I am--a person who likes my food to be pretty and am more likely to eat it if it is arranged nicely. This might not apply to you. But if it does and you want to do something different than cut up a bunch of pretty fruits into a bowl and call it a fruit salad, then cut up some pretty fruits, leave some whole, and arrange them all nicely on a plate. This is great with a latte and some toast.

4. Mexican Cinnamon Polenta Cakes (Gluten Free, Nut Free, Soy Free Option)


These polenta cakes are an easily veganized recipe from Kevin is Cooking. I had some leftover polenta that I cut into squares, patted dry, and coated in cinnamon sugar before gently pan-frying in some vegan butter. Alongside those, I had some Field Roast apple sausages and a mushroom, tomato, and spinach sauté with a splash of white shoyu sauce. I questioned myself a little making the savory veggies to go with the sweet polenta cakes, but somehow it worked. I loved these polenta cakes. To me, they were sweet enough without the suggested maple syrup, though if you wanted it that would likely also be very good.

I have indicated that this is gluten free, which is true for the polenta, but not for the veggies (because of the shoyu) or the sausages (because they have wheat gluten). The whole thing here is nut free. I made my polenta with soy milk originally, but if you hadn't, this would be soy free. It's definitely an option for most people, even with allergies, to find a way to have this.

5. Blueberry and Praline French Toast Casserole (Soy Free)


If you're in the mood for something especially decadent, this recipe from Vegan Atlas may be an option for you. I used sourdough bread cubes and cut the recipe in half (hence the loaf pan) but otherwise made it as written. It is very sweet, so I found I could only have a small serving with some veggie sausages, a soy latte, and some fresh fruit, but it was delicious, and I really enjoyed the leftovers.

6. Fonio Pancakes with Berries and Soy Yogurt (Nut Free)


These fonio pancakes are a recipe from Quirky Pineapples. I had some fonio and am in "use what you have for the love of all that is holy" mode, as you know, so of course I wanted to try these! Aside from having some trial and error to avoid having my pancakes stick (I need to replace my nonstick pans, alas), I have no complaints. The pancakes are amazing. I don't even know how to describe the texture you get, but they're tender and fluffy and somehow creamy, too. I topped mine off with some soy yogurt and berries and had some maple apple veggie sausages on the side for more protein (although both fonio and soy yogurt also make contributions to that here).

7. Beet Butter Avocado Toast (Nut Free, Soy Free)



Aside from being pretty, this beet butter avocado toast (recipe from Simply So Good) has a great balance of flavors. The beet butter is a blend of beets (obviously), pumpkin seeds (I subbed pumpkin seed butter), tahini, lemon juice, and a few other things. It makes for a spread more like a seed butter than hummus, and thus, "beet butter." Don't skip the pickled onions; they really add something special.

8. Chocolate Sunflower Seed Butter Pudding with Berries (Gluten Free, Nut Free)


I think you may have seen a version this in a "random meals" compilation, but I loved it so much I just kept making it until I ran out of sunflower seed butter. What I do is to make the Sunflower Seed Butter breakfast shake recipe from Feasting on Fruit using soy milk and soy yogurt. With that and the sunflower seed butter, it has a good amount of protein. Then, I divide the shake into two bowls and stick them in the fridge overnight. They become this delightful pudding! And it's great with fresh berries. Add non-dairy whipped cream if you've got it. It's one of my favorite breakfasts these days!

9. Chocolate Chip Zucchini Breakfast Cookies (Gluten Free, Soy Free)


After my last round with breakfast cookies made from quinoa flakes (you can find it in my previous breakfast compilation), I was hooked. This is another great breakfast cookie recipe I found at Kale Junkie. It relies on oats and oat flour as well as bananas, zucchini, maple syrup, and some other goodies. One of my favorite things about this recipe is the flaky sea salt that finishes off each cookie--it really makes these addictive! I used super dark chocolate chips, which go perfectly with flaky salt. I'll be sad when the oven has to go off for the summer, but until then, I'm glad to get in every bit of baked goodness I can!

10. Blended Blueberry Apricot Spiced Overnight Oats (Gluten Free)


As usual, I adapted an ordinary overnight oats recipe by blending the oats and other things before setting it in the fridge overnight. Thus, I was sort of following this recipe from the Flexitarian. You see it here with maple syrup, and it is, of course, a smaller portion to leave room for a smoothie. I used soy milk for the protein instead of the oat milk suggested. This is really good--plus, one gets to have fresh apricots, which is always fun.


What are you having for breakfast these days?

Comments

Popular Posts