Low Bowl #1

 


I have a new bowl. I couldn't resist it. It's one of those low pasta bowls, perfect for a lot of the types of food I eat. I don't usually buy new things, but it was on clearance, calling to me, and well, here we are. Because I already have another bowl I've designated as a "dinner bowl," I thought I wanted to call this something else. So. Meet "low bowl." (I don't know how long this naming convention will last. I am a bit unsure of myself at the moment, but open to suggestions, if you have any.)

In my new bowl, I have mashed sweet potatoes made with soy milk, non-dairy butter, and a splash of maple syrup garnished with chives, cracked black pepper, and flaky salt. And with that I have French lentils with garlic and thyme (recipe from New York Times) and Swiss chard with apples (from Heal Me Delicious).

This was amazing. I built the meal around the Swiss chard recipe, since chard is in season and I already had some apples. I remembered this lentil recipe being pretty simple and quite good, so I thought that would be the protein source here. And then, given the flavors, I figured sweet potatoes would complement things well. It being too warm for the oven, I just boiled and mashed the sweet potato.

There's pretty much nothing I would change here. I substituted soy sauce for coconut aminos in the chard, which worked fine. I think the balsamic vinegar was the magic that brought it all together--the bitterness of the greens just melted away.

The lentils are, well, lentils, but I love lentils. They're subtly flavored here. All I would change would be to add more carrot--it needed more carrot.

I forget how delicious sweet potatoes are sometimes. But they are delicious. Add some buttery flavors and maple syrup? I could make a whole meal out of that alone! But unfortunately we need more than that to live.

Comments

  1. I don't think I've ever been this sad to not be able to eat *any* of the three (delicious!!! favorite!!!) foods in one of your meals before. *dramatic sigh* (the lentils are gorgeous! chard [or as my grandpa called it, silverbeet] I could eat indefinitely! and buttered sweet potato mash MMMM) (guts that harshly react to insoluble fiber are a poor match to people who love their veggies, honestly; maybe the guts will change their mind someday and I will eat Lentils and Chard and Sweet Potatoes by the bucket, interspersed with buttered popcorn and giant bowls of spinach...)

    (there are many delicious things I can still eat, though! But oh chard...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (also, perhaps obviously, I am very, very glad that you can eat these, and would rather see someone else enjoying them than not! But it is perhaps a surprising Unusually Aspirational Meal [if the guts ever do get their act together and allow these sorts of delicious shenanigans...].)

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry you can't always have everything you might want. I know that's hard. I'm not sure if our digestive systems change their minds about things like insoluble fiber, but I do know some people grow out of allergies, so maybe? Until then, you have other treats I can think of, if you're the anonymous person I think you are. And if not, and you want help brainstorming treats, I can try!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts