Dinner Bowl #4


 I confess: I made all this, for the most part, because I wanted to try out a new okra recipe while okra is in season. And then it turned out to be one of the best meals! Here we have the rice and okra recipe from Cooktoria, butter-braised radishes (non-dairy in my case) (recipe from Pop Sugar), steamed carrots with a bit more non-dairy butter; and Beyond breakfast sausages.

The one major sticky wicket with this meal is that both the rice and radishes call for scallions, and my store was out. So...well, it's fine; I used a plain onion in the radishes, finely chopped, and added more parsley to the rice.

I made the whole recipe for the rice and have enough for an army, but I froze some. It's a really good rice recipe, but I don't know how much okra really contributes to it--I think it needed more okra. Still, I enjoyed it, which is good, since I will probably be eating it for a week.

The radishes were really good. I have roasted radishes a few times, but as oven weather has disappeared--at least temporarily, given a strange, late-spring heat wave--I wanted a stovetop recipe. This was pretty hands off, which is good when you have a lot going on in the kitchen.

I forgot that you were supposed to thaw the sausages before cooking, so I just had them in the toaster oven for a lot longer than usual and they seemed fine. Still, next time I'll try to remember to thaw them. I think they cook better that way. I haven't had these sausages in a long, long time, but I do really love them, so when I wanted an easy protein they seemed like a no-brainer.

Carrots are carrots. This one was huge, which is why the coins are so gigantic. But I don't mind that--more carroty goodness! I think carrots probably go with just about everything.

Comments

Popular Posts