Sequestration Meal #15

I had some leftover mashed potatoes, so I made a basic vegan shepherd's pie. (I don't know if you can call it shepherd's pie in that case, if I want to be pedantic--shepherd's pie is lamb, cottage pie is beef, and gardener's pie is vegetarian, but I don't think that gardener's pie uses any kind of meat substitute, so whatever, it's vegan shepherd's pie.)

At some point, when I have the right proportions of this, I will show you the ingredients. For now, I didn't really have enough mashed potatoes for more than a thin crust, and that's just sad! But it was really good anyway, and I would happily have eaten the meaty gravy underneath with or without potatoes.

This was not a single serving, but this is not the sort of thing that plates very nicely if you don't have  a thick layer of potatoes, so I yielded to aesthetic demands. But you can trust me. It was lovely inside.

This was the point at which I began forcing myself not to go to the grocery store even though I was getting really anxious about how low I was on a lot of ingredients. I still had food, just not my usual comforting array of possibilities. But we all know I have to venture out sometime. I'm now trying to imagine what my dream foods would be so when I go I can get the ingredients. I mean, this is clearly the time to choose the time intensive things of your dreams. It's just hard to have any aspirations in this environment.

Comments

  1. Oooh this is just the kind of comfort food quarantine calls for. That looks really beautiful and sounds delicious. I'm sorry that grocery shopping remains so daunting but I assure you I understand 100%. I just can't do it either. I'm glad you have enough to get by for a little while longer and I'm sure you'll make the best list for your next trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I write and schedule these posts a bit in advance and usually don't contradict reality but I guess I just didn't catch that one--I DID make it to the store last night! It was exhausting but I'm so glad it's over!

      Delete
  2. Is that cheese in the potato topping?
    We are lucky enough to be able to get a delivery once a week (my mum qualifies for it through one of the supermarkets) and I go out maybe once a week for some stuff that we can't get, but looking at reducing that to only when I really need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Daiya cheddar! And because I didn't peel the potatoes, also red potato skins.

      Delete
  3. This looks fantastic, and I'm glad you made it out to the grocery store; I hope you were able to get the ingredients you wanted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some yes, some no, getting very anxious about toilet paper! But I think it'll be okay.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts