Sequestration Meal #345

 

We are getting deep into the pantry-reduction with this meal. I have made this recipe for spicy vegan mock duck. It involves imitation duck in a can, which sounds terrible but is actually really good! Who knew!? It is better in my mind to think of it as braised gluten--which is what it is--rather than mock duck, for some reason.

The recipe asked for more spicy things than I put in it, but I did put in the full tablespoon of sambal oelek and I don't regret that at all. It was spicy, but not too spicy. All the flavors went together beautifully and the braised gluten was tender, but not at all mushy. I would definitely buy another can next time I found myself in an Asian market (although these days I am just grabbing produce and such and eating the pantry).

I'm not as sure about the cashew topping here; I think next time I'd use sesame seeds. But one lives and learns.

Meanwhile, I think the braised gluten chunks would make an amazing stew. I want to experiment more with this ingredient.

Comments

  1. I remember the first time I found that vegan duck in a can way back in the dawn of my vegan years and I had no idea what to do with it and I was horrified! I didn't touch it again for over a decade until I finally found some recipes that used it and realised that it needed stuff done to it! Oh, baby vegan Susan, you tried at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I remember trying to eat tofu plain. We all learn in time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts