Sequestration Meal #351/Temari Rabbit Bento Bowl #36

 

I never liked any kind of sashimi. Raw fish was so disturbing. But I saw people making some sort of mock raw tuna out of watermelon and was intrigued, so I made this recipe for watermelon poké and made a poké bowl with edamame, watermelon tuna, cucumbers, seaweed, and a drizzle of Vegenaise. I didn't have the macadamia nuts but otherwise followed the recipe as written. There is rice under all this stuff, but I guess I overcrowded the bowl so you can't see it.

This was good, but I'd be unlikely to make it again. It was not raw fish for sure--which I deeply appreciated--it's really just spicy watermelon, which is kind of nice. But there are plenty of other things I like more than this, and I'm content with those things.

But it does look pretty, doesn't it? You'd probably never think it was watermelon, would you?

The leftovers made for a pretty good bento, too.

Being out of practice with bentos, for some reason I made flowers out of cucumbers, but honestly that was a fun activity in the morning and I need some fun in this stressful time. I packed the mayo in my little mayo bottle and I had a side of chopped nectarine and blueberries.

I ate this bento in my car, not feeling comfortable unmasked with everyone in the break room. That was a little less great. But I did really like how colorful this was. That's one of the best parts of packing lunch--the present I wrap myself in the morning to open later in the day.

Comments

  1. Your bento lunch boxes are always so cute. My lunches look boring.
    Nice work on the watermelon sashimi. I see all sorts of things people are doing with watermelon these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I already like other kinds of ham (and those have more protein) so I think I won't try doing that myself, but if someone wants to cook it for me I'm not averse to trying it out.

      Delete
    2. From what I understand, making watermelon ham is a *process*
      A friend recently received an unexpected watermelon and it was suggested she try making ham, but she did some simpler things
      TBH, when I have watermelon in front of me I mostly just want to eat it straight away as is!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts