Sequestration Meal #347

 

I was skeptical of this, but I had everything on hand and I tend to gravitate toward making things with whatever I have as much as possible these days: Tofu, kale, and grape tomatoes in a white wine sauce (recipe from Food.com with some slight modifications to suit my own stocks on hand); mashed potatoes; and steamed carrots.

I was skeptical because you don't season the tofu with anything first, just pan fry it, but I plunged ahead, and it worked out fine! When you put the crispy tofu in the veggies and sauce, it does its tofu thing and absorbs a lot of the lemon, wine, and mustard flavors. I did let the kale cook longer than it said because I prefer my greens soft, but that only intensified all the saucy goodness.

And of course I always love mashed potatoes. Who doesn't? 

This was a nice, colorful meal with lots of different nutrients. It was also easier to make than a lot of the things I cook. I'll be filing this one away for later--it's a great stovetop main dish for Western-style "meat and potatoes" meals, which as a product of my culture is sometimes just what I need.

Comments

  1. I do know one person who doesn't like mashed potatoes, the poor thing, missing out on such comforting goodness. I really like the sound of this sautee as well.
    Confession, kale here tends to be fairly expensive still (though at least it is now widely available, it didn't used to be) and take up a lot of room in my fridge, so I tend to just sub in baby spinach for most things calling for greens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swiss chard might be closer to kale, if you can get that, or maybe even collards? But spinach would probably work, too.

      Delete
    2. Swiss chard is easy to come by here (we call it silverbeet), though collards are non-existent. I did actually order some kale for a recipe I am planning to make this week, inspired by your post to put the little bit of extra effort in to use it. (Baby spinach just involves opening the bag!)

      Delete
    3. To be honest, often kale just involves opening the bag for me, too--I generally buy it pre-washed and cut, though I have to cut it up a bit more. (But I do pay attention to whether it seems actually clean, because greens can definitely hide dirt from you.

      Delete
    4. They sell kale cut up in bags here, but they don't take the hard stems out first so I end up having to spend ages sorting through it to take out the really woody bits.

      Alas, after ordering kale and being all inspired to kale (I do actually really like it), the grocery store sent a bunch of basil instead. Ummm... not quite the same thing. LOL
      I don't feel like going out just to get kale, so baby spinach it will have to be again this time.

      Delete
    5. Well, that's definitely not kale, but I see pesto in your future!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts