Lunchopolis #92

 


I read a lot of old cookbooks and magazines. I read old things for a living and a hobby, but I tend to focus on different topics when I'm doing it for leisure! It's really thanks to my late night leisure reading that I have this unoriginal but largely forgotten sandwich: The PBLT (more on that below). It comes here alongside the end of a bag of Fritos; a salad of kiwi, blueberries, and banana; a bit of dark chocolate; and a Biscoff sandwich cookie.

A PBLT substitutes peanut butter for bacon in a BLT. I made my sandwich with extra lettuce to prevent the tomato from sogging up the bread (I put it on both sides of the tomato), and I toasted the bread for extra protection. It was a moderate success, but I didn't mind the few soggy patches I met here and there, because the flavors were good. One half of the bread was spread with peanut butter, then topped with lettuce, tomato, salt, pepper, and more lettuce. I spread the other slice of bread with vegan mayo before putting it on top of that pile of veggies.

It may sound a bit weird but it totally works. You can have a savory nut butter sandwich--why not? And there are plenty of historical sandwich combos left to try, too. Feel free to suggest some to me if you want. It is probably best to avoid peanut butter with any sugar in it for these recipes, though, bear in mind--the natural kind that is just peanuts will work best.

Though I tried this in part because of the curiosity factor, I also want to reassure myself in the midst of my money panics (which are not rational; do not worry about me) that I will still find ways to eat. Peanut butter is really cheap, certainly more so than any vegan deli slices or bacon substitutes I know of. So it's an option for you, if you are feeling the pain of grocery prices and are tired of PB&J.

The rest of this doesn't really need much description. It was good and I enjoyed it. You can't ask for much more out of lunch!

Comments

  1. (From Jennifer)...
    Looks like another winner of a lunch! Nice job - for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had peanut butter on lots of different sandwiches - savoury and sweet. I really feel like it goes with everything. I love the sound of this version of a BLT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in the U.S. people are less likely to pair peanut butter with savory things because the default peanut butter is sweetened. But it really does work so well in so many things.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts