Sequestration Meal #427

 


This was the last of the meals for which I allowed myself the luxury of spending kind of a lot of extra time, just before the end of my staycation. It was so worth it! Here we have mashed potatoes; Spanish asparagus with red peppers, onions, and garlic; and maple soy baked tofu steaks. I finally accepted that asparagus costs what it costs and I don't have that much longer to enjoy asparagus season, and splurged. I hope to get a few more rounds of asparagus in this year.

Mashed potatoes are mashed potatoes, but these were the best kind I make, because I finally managed to get some vegan half-and-half after what has probably been years. So good.

The asparagus is a recipe from Irena Macri. I did do one thing differently here: I cooked my onions and red peppers very low and very slow, probably a total of about half an hour, so they got nice and sweet and caramelized. I would unquestionably make the dish again. It's so simple and easy but utterly delicious, plus it's beautiful. I might reduce the oil next time because I found it a tad on the greasy side, except that the oil tasted amazing, too, due to the infusion of flavors. We'll have to see.

The tofu is a recipe from Cooking for Peanuts. I found it difficult to keep the steaks intact after scoring them, and I think it makes more marinade than you need. Otherwise, I loved this recipe. Scoring it did let it soak in much more of the marinade, and the sriracha gives it a nice balance against the sweetness of the maple syrup and the saltiness of the soy. It's a bit like good baked beans, but in tofu form. (Which I guess technically is also baked beans.)

After all that white bread and cake, it was good to come back to something that makes me feel so much better physically. I loved my little tea party and the cake was amazing and I don't regret having all that, but it was a good reminder that the improvements I have made by taking care of my nutrition do actually matter, and they aren't just my imagination. Here's to taking care of ourselves!

Comments

  1. This looks amazing, especially that tofu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty great! Maybe I just scored my tofu too deep.

      Delete
  2. (From Jennifer)...

    That Tofu Steak certainly intrigues me! I'll be looking into that more soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts