Sequestration Meal #425

In case you're wondering, I'm showing you meals from a staycation right now, which is why they are often more elaborate and you're not seeing packed lunches.

As I'm sure regular readers here know, there are times that all I want is just a plate of veggies. Usually I do that by having some sort of beans and rice with veggies meal, but this time I took things in another, equally satisfying direction: Leek and mushroom biscuit pot pie, dilly potatoes, and peas and carrots.

I made the sauce for the pot pie with soy milk, which boosted the protein content; I also made my veggies more protein-forward, which is why I had the peas. All in all this worked pretty well, and I may be making more veggie pot pies with soy milk, although I have a bit of a rant here: unsweetened soy milk is getting harder and harder to find for whatever reason, crowded out by all the other, lower-protein plant milks that don't work as well for me and a bunch of sweet things. Sometimes I can find unsweetened vanilla soy milk but what good is that in pot pie? I suppose if this is all I have to complain about I should be grateful, though.

Leeks aren't commonly in my refrigerator, but since I've been focusing on seasonal produce, and leeks are in season, I picked some up. I do really like leeks but if I buy the whole ones at the store I have way too many leeks. Fortunately, I can buy already-cut leeks in smaller packages at Wegmans, which is why I may start eating more leeks in general. Or at least, I should be eating more leeks while they're in season!

I need to do a dedicated post to my peas and carrots recipe, because I love it. I haven't made it in a long time, because I tend to want to try new things so often, but there is something wonderful about the old favorites. Plus, this one, in addition to being a classic, is extremely cheap--something we're all looking for more of these days.

Comments

  1. This looks like an excellent staycation dinner! I am having a little staycation of my own in a couple of weeks. I will have the house to myself and I am so looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (From Jennifer)...
    Ooooooo! This Pot Pie looks and sounds terrific! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gravy, mushrooms, and a biscuit really can't go wrong anwyay!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts