Dinner Bowl #25

 


The most affordable way to buy kale in my local market is in a 1-pound bag, which is genuinely huge. Do you know how much kale there is in a pound? Maybe 12 or 16 cups. That's why lately I'm putting kale in practically everything. So here is more kale, in the form of mushroom gravy pie with garlicky kale mashed potatoes (recipe from The First Mess), leeks and carrots with ginger and garlic (recipe from Real Food for Life), and steamed broccoli.

This mushroom gravy pie was a lot of trouble; I probably should have read it more thoroughly before I added it to my meal plan. But I was looking to use up some kale, a few potatoes, and some mushrooms, and there it was, with lentils and everything so I wouldn't need to make another protein option. I will say it is delicious, so I could definitely see putting it on a holiday table, because it has a sort of fanciness to it, too. I think I'd have been just as happy, though, if I'd made the mashed potatoes and kale and topped it with a lentil mushroom gravy.

The carrots and leeks are a really good recipe--quick and flavorful; nothing I would change, and I think this would go as well with Asian meals as with western ones.

You don't need me to describe broccoli, but I will at least note that I still love it!

P.S. I still have kale...

Comments

  1. I wish I liked kale more but I just have such a hard time finding a way I really love eating it. This meal does look delicious and got some reason I really want to make stuffing now 🤔 lentil mushroom gravy sounds magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not necessarily THAT fond of kale myself! I put it in smoothies and it's good in some things sometimes, but I do get daunted by a huge bag of it. This time I think I did pretty good with using it, though. It's cheap and sturdier than a lot of greens, so I can make it last a while--it's just that I don't necessarily want it to last a while!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts