Sequestration Meal #545

 


I usually don't make rice twice in one week--variety is the spice of life and there are warnings about arsenic in rice (although from what I've read the dietary source of arsenic in the American diet is primarily from meat and fish, so...well, you do you and get medical advice elsewhere; I'm just saying, for me, I'm not that concerned about arsenic in my rice, although I'd be unlikely to eat rice as much as it seems I've been doing this week most of the time). Bearing in mind that I am getting through leftovers, too, this is a lot of rice in one week. But I just wanted this rice. And sometimes you have to give in to your inner whiny child who refuses to cooperate with what is on the menu plan. (I had planned to make garlic toast with this.)

Anyway, with my rice I had the vegan chickpea stew from Midwest Foodie. This was one of those recipes that I ran across at the precise right time, when I had all the stuff on hand and needed to use it. That did throw off the ratios slightly, because I cut it in half and I only had about 2/3 of a can of chickpeas to put in because that was the open can in the fridge and I didn't want to open another one and start the process again. I made up for it by adding extra kale. But it did get me through said chickpeas and half a can of coconut milk I had on hand, as well as running me totally out of onions, potatoes, and carrots. 

I don't usually let myself run all the way out of staples like those, but I'm feeling okay about it. We're far along enough in my brave new world that COVID brought to me that I feel pretty confident that onions and carrots will be available somewhere in some form, and if they aren't, I'll just improvise. Progress!

This recipe says it's a chickpea stew (and it is) but it also has red lentils in it, which really boosts the protein up. And also, it turns out so pretty with the orange of the carrots and the green of the kale peeking through.

This was a really good meal. And the stew went wonderfully with rice. It was one of those delicious, warming bowls of self-nurturing that came in late winter.

Comments

Popular Posts