Dinner Bowl #13

 


Here's a mediocre effort: Canned refried black beans, chipotle-flavored Banza "rice," a pupusa made with non-dairy cheese filling, and half an avocado, all with a lime to squeeze over the plate for more flavor and a garnish of flaky salt.

This was okay. It got me to use some of my masa harina (masa harina is forever, I suppose!), though I think I could have made a more exciting filling. I tried refried black beans because I wasn't finding refried pinto beans in a can that I liked (someone needs to dupe the Goya Rancheros beans and give us an alternative for those of us who will never be able to buy Goya again), but they weren't any better. Later I added some jalapeno garlic sauce from Trader Joe's and that really helped matters, but the beans were really bland otherwise.

Fortunately, an avocado is always a good idea, and Banza rice is usually pretty inoffensive. We can't hit it out of the park every time.

Comments

  1. Maybe not the most exciting meal for your palate but it does look delicious! I prefer a little more flavor in my refried beans as well and I had started using Amy's refried beans with green Chiles. It's pretty good although too expensive for me to buy right now. I love pupusas and am enjoying seeing how you cone up with creative ways to use your ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen those! I think more options probably exist in the southwest. I am on an endless quest here.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts