Low Bowl #11

 


Sometimes when I'm cooking, I feel I've crossed over into uber vegan territory. This is one of those times. But what I made was amazing! First, I have a salad inspired by one I found online, but for which I didn't have all the ingredients and therefore just plunged ahead on my own theories (see more on this below); a little cup of avocado mashed with lime juice, salt, pepper, and parsley; some millet/seed/oat/veggie patties (recipe from Bianca Zapatka), and a couple of vegan kebabs I found in a local grocery store's frozen section.

Of all the things here, the kebabs were the least interesting. I will try pan frying them next time rather than giving them the toaster oven treatment and see if that helps matters, because they were a bit dry and tough this way. The instructions didn't specify oven temperature, just "medium," so maybe I had it too hot? I don't know.

The patties were what had me giggling over how vegan I am now, because they involve so many different things I rarely or never kept on hand before I was vegan--millet, plain rolled oats, sunflower seeds, nutritional yeast, pine nuts, flax seeds... Who am I? But they were yummy, especially with that avocado on top. I love millet, but I am trying to use what I have up as part of my seemingly endless using-stuff-up quest. (Okay, it's slowed down a bit, but I am really trying not to just have stuff around and not use it. And I am at least learning what are staples and what need to be used and not replaced unless purchased for a specific purpose. Millet is not a staple, as much as I love it.)

The salad may be one of my favorite improvisations ever! I blanched some broccoli and had that in a salad of mango, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and scallions in a creamy poppy seed dressing. Sound weird? Maybe, but it was delicious. Plus, mango is in season, so the mango was absolutely heavenly.

On the using it up front, I am out of pine nuts and nearly out of sunflower seeds. I do not know whether I feel I can be without either in the long term, but I may try to just not have them around for a few months to see.

Comments

  1. This is the cutest post ever, I love those "I'm such a vegan" meals 🤣 the meal looks lovely and Bianca's recipes are just droolworthy! That's so great that you've been able to start using up pantry items! I'm with you on this challenge ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, what's most impressive about veganism isn't the mimicry of something omnivores would eat, but instead, how we can combine foods in unexpected ways and have something fun and delicious. I guess that's what uber vegan means, maybe? But that broccoli-mango salad is one I'm going to need to make again, erm, for research purposes...

      As for using stuff up, I've had very mixed success on that front. But I'm learning what I truly should have on hand, and what's just me caving to my whims. Whims still get caved to around here, but I don't need to collect every possible type of flour just because.

      Delete
    2. I love both of these points!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts