ECO Lunchbox Three-in-One #93

 


At this point, I'm essentially playing a game with myself to see how long I can avoid physically going to a grocery store. (Well, I know from previous experience that can stretch on for years, but this time I'm not getting delivery of perishable things. So it's really just about playing this game until I give up and go buy more vegetables.) And so I went into my fridge and came up with this:

A salad of lettuce, shredded carrot, black olives, and onions with some Bac'n pieces and homemade vegan ranch; some so-called "gluten free seeded beet crackers" that seem much more like tortilla chips than anything else; a couple of gluten free graham crackers; a jalapeno dip I made from a bit of non-dairy cream cheese, some jalapeno I had, and some seasonings; and guacamole made from the very last bit of a somewhat sad avocado (but still salvageable) and finely chopped, slightly wrinkled grape tomatoes.

This was the last bit of some local lettuce that, although pricey, seems to always last quite a while. I don't know what wizardry they perform to make the lettuce last so long, though maybe most of the lettuce we buy is old because it get shipped and lettuce actually lasts longer than we think. I've had good luck with iceberg lettuce lasting what seemed like forever, but this is definitely not iceberg lettuce. It's a very carrot-heavy salad, though; I didn't really have that much lettuce left, but I wanted a salad. (I almost never want salad, but on occasion I do.)

All in all, a pretty great lunch! I wasn't intending to make it gluten free, but it so happens, it is. Go figure. But that's the joy of the game, really. You keep pulling random things out of the fridge and pantry and get inspired.

I think because I'm doing better emotionally, I've had more bandwidth for this sort of thing. I fully anticipate riding the wave of the nuggets and tater tots again in the future. But for right now, I'm letting myself have fun in the kitchen and steering clear of the holiday season crowds. Stay safe out there. And stay away from people!

Comments

  1. I've played that game before. Not as successfully as you, but, still. It can be fun and challenging. The problem with us while quarantining is that we HAD to go shopping even before we locked ourselves down. YIKES. Then it was just worse. We don't really have good-looking produce around here this time of year and delivery options are next to NIL, too. Uggg. I am thinking about finally busting down and buying staples online tho. I blogged a little bit about that today...and a bunch of other stuff, too. It was kind of a blab session on my part LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to go between extremes--for me it's easier to buy nothing and figure out what to do than it is to buy in moderation. It got worse because I spent more than a year in total isolation, and the first several months of that meant perishables were extremely hard to get. It's probably some sort of trauma reaction for me. I'll see what suggestions I can offer you on your post about getting things online.

      Delete
  2. A very well played game! Nuggets and gems will be there when we need them, but when there is the energy and inspiration, it is fun to see what can be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely--although I have eaten all my nuggets, too, so I will be sure they're on the list!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts