Sequestration Meal #377

 


This was a using-stuff-up meal, but it was surprisingly ornate for that. (I've been watching too much "Budget Eats" videos on the Delish YouTube, possibly. I'm inspired to explore the possibilities.) I'm glad I was forced into being imaginative, though. I have a whole new favorite easy thing: Bean taquitos!

Here we have oven-baked bean and cheese (I used Daiya) taquitos (recipe close to The Spruce Eats version) topped with some leftover cashew cheese sauce I'd made for something else and some impromptu pico de gallo. I didn't use all of the beans in the taquitos, so I had the rest as a side here. I also made some Mexican rice with veggies (from Dassana's Veg Recipes) and guacamole for sides, and added some Tofutti sour cream for good measure.

I had caved and bought some corn tortillas in spite of still not finishing off my masa harina, and I do think these would have been better with homemade tortillas, but you have to have some convenience in life if you also have a full time job. I know my own refried beans would taste better than any canned version, but I doctored these up with hot sauce and some onion sautéed in Earth Balance and they worked well enough with everything else.

Aside from the cashew sauce, this would be nut free; it is already gluten free. It could be soy free with some easy substitutions, if that's what you need--use oil instead of Earth Balance or just don't doctor your beans and follow the original recipe, and leave off the Tofutti, and you're there. I'd add a squeeze of lime juice for tartness in that case.

I'm now on my third week of avoiding grocery stores! Go me!

Comments

  1. You made this three week into no grocery stores? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honestly very surprised that the avocado lasted so long!

      Delete
    2. Budget Eats on Delish...I will have to look that up. I have been getting back into Great Depression Cooking and many of them were already vegan but trying to veganize the ones that weren't already so.

      Your plate looks great, btw!!!

      Delete
    3. There is one vegan Budget Eats video I've blogged about previously: http://foodfordissertating.blogspot.com/2020/11/interlude-inspiration.html

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts