Sequestration Meal #376

 

I'm avoiding the grocery store--I do that every December, pandemic or not--and so I am focused, again, on using what I've got. I found this recipe for red lentil soup at The Kitchn and decided it was the perfect way to use up my last cup of red lentils. (Red lentils, of course, cook up yellow.) 

It's a very simple recipe--just a mirepoix cooked in olive oil, to which one adds broth, lentils, and a bay leaf and simmers until soft, and then squeezes in a lemon. I garnished it with some scallions for color. But even though it was simple, it was delicious. I love lentil soup of almost all kinds anyhow!

Another thing that was interesting to me about this recipe is that it was free of all of the eight most common allergens--no soy, nuts, or gluten here (and obviously no eggs, milk, or fish of any sort). Just a warm bowl of thick soup--perhaps you could call it a stew--and perfect for winter. My whole meal wasn't allergen free, because I made some garlic toast to go with it, but if you wanted you could make that gluten free, too.

Comments

  1. I love a good lentil soup. There is something so simple but nourishing about it. It feels good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should eat more lentils. I've had bad luck a few times with them refusing to soften, but when it works out it's wonderful, and red lentils more or less always soften because they're already split before cooking. So this recipe is a real delight!

      Delete
    2. If I am cooking with brown/green lentils, I will soak them overnight, or for a few hours before hand, and then I have no problems with them softening up when cooking. Otherwise I would sometimes have to cook them for way longer to get them soft.

      Delete
  2. Ahhhhhh...look at that! Lentil Soup! Yum! Can't go wrong with a good Lentil Soup! I'm currently quarantining until the 20th. I'm not sick but my husband is. We haven't been around each other since the 25th - living on sep floors - so here's hoping! I have very few groceries in the house for me so it should be an interesting week and a half.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts