Recipe: Cucumber-Carrot Salad with "Honey" Sesame Dressing (Vegan, Gluten Free, Nut Free)

 


Lately, I've been realizing that my method of giving recipes alongside bento lunches makes them harder to find than I'd like. And also some of my previous photography left a lot to be desired. So this is not a new recipe, but a repackaged one with prettier photography. 

I also have a lot more readers now than when I first gave this to you, so it's entirely possible you missed it the first time around. I've made this salad, adapted and veganized from Annabel Karmel's Lunch Boxes and Snacks, so many times, though! So even if you haven't seen the recipe, you may well have seen the dish. Usually, I have it as you see here--with rice and some sort of Asian-style protein (this time, Trader Joe's orange chicken-less morsels).

I've tried low sodium soy sauce in this recipe, but I didn't enjoy it. Stick with the regular stuff, or you may need to add salt. If you're avoiding gluten, make sure your soy sauce is gluten free. Several brands contain wheat, but not all do.
 

Carrot-Cucumber Salad with "Honey" Sesame Dressing
Serves 2

1 large carrot, peeled
1/2 English cucumber, or 1 Persian cucumber (you want a seedless variety)
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1 teaspoon mirin
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Use a swivel vegetable peeler (the kind that looks a little like a slingshot) to make thin strips of carrot and cucumber. Then prepare your dressing: Mix all remaining ingredients. Toss the dressing with the carrot and cucumber. Garnish with additional sesame seeds, if desired.

If you want to make this salad ahead, store the carrot and cucumber strips separate from the dressing, and toss together up to a few hours before serving.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts