Sequestration Meal #582

 


This style of food never fails to make me feel better, no matter what may be wrong: A Daiya cheddar-based quesadilla, refried beans, Mexican rice, Mexican mushrooms, Tofutti sour cream, cilantro, and a lime wedge for squeezing over things that needed it (i.e., the rice).

At some point the Mexican mushrooms (recipe from Muy Delish) became practically mandatory in my head. I do not know why this would be. But just like I can't see not having rice and beans with my Tex-Mex style food, I now can't imagine not having Mexican mushrooms. It will probably always remain one of my top 10 favorite foods.

The refried beans were pretty awful; I doctored them up but even at that you can only do so much with an unappealing can of beans. I bought them from Target, and they were a Target brand. I thought, as I was picking them up, hey, wait, were these the ones I hated? And then I bought them, opened the can, and verified: These were the ones I hated. But you can't have everything every time, and I will definitely remember that for the future.

Goya beans were always delicious, but they've never recanted their stance, so I've never bought them again. I'm still on a quest to find good canned refried beans that don't have to be doctored to be good, but maybe someday they'll turn up.

Comments

  1. Goya did take a perturbingly, remarkably strong problematic stance! There are some things I sort of have "well, avoid that brand/store if reasonably feasible" tendencies towards and then other "absolutely definitely 100% nope unless lives are at stake or something" tendencies, and it is sad when something good is only available via the latter! Anyway, may good refried beans be in your future somewhere.

    I have never associated mushrooms with mexican food, but yes, those look awfully good (if one is allowed to eat the peppers and the tomatoes, sigh). Can they be frozen successfully for batch cooking and easier mushroom access in the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had better luck with some brands--at least with most I'm able to doctor them up to my liking--but for some reason a few brands are just awful no matter what!

      I tried doubling the recipe once (actually, just making it as written, because I usually cut it in half) and it didn't turn out so well--too watery, or something. So I'd need a much larger skillet with a lid, to make a larger batch. But it's not a problem, really. It's a very easy recipe.

      Delete
  2. This meal looks so good! I actually thought about making quesadillas recently and I think this is definitely a sign that I should make that happen! I haven't purchased Goya either, I'll let you know if I find a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine you have different brands near you, but I'm always finding new brands to try--and many of them ship. So let me know if you find one!

      Delete
  3. I wish you well on your refried beans quest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This sentence is somehow hilarious but also much appreciated!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts