Sequestration Meal #584

 


I've been trying to be more deliberate about using stuff up in the fridge, so this is an unusual combination, possibly, but I found it very enjoyable. This is a simple mixed greens salad with a basic vinaigrette, marinated tofu steak with cilantro chimichurri (recipe from Thank You Berry Much) and some blueberry barley salad (recipe from Swanson, veganized with Follow Your Heart feta and using dried dill because it was what I had).

I didn't bake or grill the marinated tofu, I just cooked it on the stove. That makes it a bit softer but I'm used to tofu and thus I'm fine with that. I loved the cilantro chimichurri--it's full of flavor! I was worried it might be too spicy but it was just right.

The barley salad was something I made because I had inherited some blueberries from a work event, and I didn't want them to go to waste. I also had some cucumber that needed using, so this was a perfect way to do that. I really liked this salad! I don't know how well it went with the tofu--probably if I had it to do over again I'd have less complexity on one plate--but I ate it in courses, and it worked out fine.

Comments

  1. This looks beautiful and delicious! I like Tofu cooked on the stove, especially when it means I don't have to turn on my oven in 100° heat 😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I will never be able to live in the desert--it's pretty, but sounds like the stuff nightmares are made of! It gets that hot here only very occasionally. But also my air conditioning isn't strong enough for such things, and I generally avoid the oven altogether in the summer.

      Delete
  2. I like tofu cooked in any which way! I have also been trying to deliberately use up things in my freezer in particular (I need to defrost soooo badly) but also my cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My freezer self-defrosts but I do need to get a handle on it. There are some buried things in there that need to be eaten.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts