Sequestration Meal #632

 


After all those beet greens, there were beets. Specifically, there were beet braised lentils (recipe from Feasting at Home), served with rice pilaf, garlic mushrooms, and steamed broccoli.

Now this is more like it! I am so into vegetables, and mushrooms called my name throughout August. Beets are some of my favorites, and this recipe has a great, earthy quality to it. Rice pilaf is a perpetual classic for me. And because there are lentils, I was able to have this rice-and-veggie meal without protein worries.

I used French green lentils because I didn't have black lentils or Puy lentils and those aren't sold in my local market. This may be why my lentils didn't turn out as vibrantly colored as in the original recipe's photos. But I kind of like this way, too, with the beets and carrots standing out against the lentils. And it tasted good. These are the important things.

I put soy sauce in my mushrooms, or otherwise this would be free of all major allergens. But you could make this meal easily without soy if you wanted to.

Comments

  1. Mushrooms always call me name! The beetroot and lentils sounds wonderful for cooler months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beets are just coming into season and I'm so excited about it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts