Sequestration Meal #102

My neighbor went to a farmers market and brought back a giant tomato and a few ears of fresh corn for me, so I decided to try out this recipe for tomato-corn salad at Taste of Home, though I only had dried herbs (my window herbs refuse to grow more than four leaves at a time before dropping the old ones; I have no idea where I've gone wrong). I was not in the mood for a big lunch and I'd eaten tofu for breakfast so this didn't end up having the Don't Be Chicken cutlet I'd planned. Instead, I just had some sliced cucumbers with everything bagel seasoning and the end of a package of vegetable Ritz crackers.

The corn turned out to be white corn, I think, so it isn't as pretty in this salad as a nice yellow one would be, but it tasted good. What is it about the smell of fresh corn that makes everything seem so glorious and wonderful? It's enough to (almost) make me happy it's summer.

Comments

  1. I’ve been eating a lot of garbage for the past couple days because we were on a lake trip with very limited resources. Learned to plan better for the future, but am glad to be home with a kitchen. This plate looks fantastic! Regarding your herbs, most require full sun, so light may be a factor. Also, air. Placing a fan near them will strengthen the stems and make them happier. Try to replicate the outdoors, as they’re not as chill as houseplants, no matter what any book says. I’ve not had much success with herbs indoors. Green onions, chives and basil are the best for me. Lots of light and air flow. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always had great success in the same window with anything I grew, including the same plants that I have now, and the only difference is that I started things from seed. It's a bay window with the same amount of light I'd have if I planted things outdoors, so I've been confused for months.

      Delete
  2. This looks like a lovely fresh plate of summer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts