Sequestration Meal #93

I had an intense craving for a hot dog. I can't even begin to describe it. It's really weird because I almost never have any interest in hot dogs. But it was kind of overwhelming. Maybe it had something to do with the hot weather, or the holiday, or just flat out wanting to eat something I didn't have to cook.

So between piggybacking on two friends' orders from two different stores, I managed to get some Field Roast franks and some vegan hot dog buns. Of course, I had to have potato salad to go with it.

This was really nice--kind of a reminder of time gone by, in a way, when food was simpler for me to prepare, groceries were easy (relatively), and going outside mostly just risked sun damage rather than slow death by lung damage.

When I was a little kid, I hated mustard. Because that was the only imaginable thing for my parents to put on a hot dog other than mayo, I always had mayo on my hot dogs at home, but mayo wasn't common on hot dogs out in the world, so I tended to have dry hot dogs when I had them when I wasn't home. One day, when I was eating lunch at some kid-related event at about six years old, I saw a teenager put ketchup on a hot dog, and it was like a revelation: You can put ketchup on a hot dog? I told my mother about the exciting development and she was unimpressed. Why would you want to do that?

These days, I like mustard on my hot dogs, along with a bit of Vegenaise, but sometimes I still grab the ketchup, too. I'm not sure when I started to love mustard, but now it's one of my favorite condiments. What do you put on your hot dogs?

Comments

  1. I like ketchup and mustard together on my hotdogs.
    Field Roast defintely make my favourite hotdogs, but it has become harder to find them here. In fact, I don't think I've seen them for a while, just the flavoured sausages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ketchup and mustard are a good combo! I always have both with a corn dog (if I could get corn dogs). Field Roast hot dogs are not so common here, either, and I wonder if they were available because it was so close to the national holiday.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts