10 Vegan Breakfast Ideas (Compilation #35)

Spring is here! Barely, but here! You know what else is here? A surprising array of vegetables in my breakfasts. Just goes to show you that there are limitless ways to sneak some veggies into your meals. Lately, I've leaned more into the savory world for breakfast, though there are more sweet things here than last time around. 


1. "Honey" Ham Biscuit Sliders with JUST Egg and Greens (Nut Free)


I had some little homemade drop biscuits in the freezer, so I pulled a couple out one morning when I had some leftover Tofurky ham roast and made my take on this omnivore recipe. I mixed a bit of rice nectar "honey" with some I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Vegan spread for the honey butter, and sandwiched some Tofurky ham, folded JUST Egg, and greens inside (one biscuit has arugula, and the other has spinach). These were really good! Anywhere I can sneak greens in is a victory.

2. Pumpkin Polenta with Cranberry Syrup (Gluten Free, Soy Free)


I shared this recipe with you a while ago and if you haven't tried it yet, it might be a good time! It's a quick warm breakfast for those mornings when it's still a bit chilly and you need something to get you going. Plus, if like me you're in North America, these flavors are local and ancient here, and something about that makes me feel connected to my ancestors. I like to have this with a glass of soy milk. 

3. Chinese-American Fusion Savory Breakfast Bowl (Gluten Free, Nut Free)


Tomatoes and eggs with rice are a classic Chinese meal, eaten any time of day. There are tons of variations. JUST Egg has a recipe on their website that is one technique you might use. (However, JUST Egg is pretty sticky, so I have to either wash my skillet after cooking the JUST Egg and before adding the tomatoes, or use two skillets. Be forewarned.) Theirs is spicy, though most of the situations in which I had this made for me by Chinese people in my omnivore life did not involve spiciness, so feel free to adjust according to your tastes. Because it was spicy, though, I thought I could make a kind of Chinese-American fusion breakfast with the tomato-egg stir fry and rice, plus sliced avocado and some pickled onions. Avocado is great with spicy food. I also garnished the whole thing with some black sesame seeds for good measure. This is a delicious savory option that would work for any time of day, but I think it's particularly nice for breakfast.

4. Flourless Chocolate Breakfast Cake with Chocolate-Tahini Ganache (Gluten Free, Soy Free)


Cake for breakfast on purpose? Yes, please! I had this recipe from Best of Vegan on my Pinterest board for ages and finally decided to make it one rainy Friday night in the early spring when I was chilly and wanted the oven on. It's essentially a modified baked oatmeal, but oh, what an oatmeal! It's a nice, fudgy, not-too-sweet accompaniment for some hot tea. Although it says it's a single serving, you'll have to have a rather huge appetite to eat the whole thing (it clocks in at over 1,000 calories), so you might want to just have half, like I did, or, if you want something else with it, like a fruit salad or a smoothie, one batch might last you for 3-4 breakfasts. It's a great make-ahead meal. Whether or not you make the cake, the ganache is worth trying out--I will be making that again as an amazing chocolate spread or dip for all sorts of things.

5. Pineapple-Carrot Smoothie Bowl (Gluten Free, Soy Free, Nut Free)


In this season of me experimenting with veggie-based sweet breakfasts, I found a recipe for a carrot smoothie bowl at Go Dairy Free. It sounded delicious and I had all the needed ingredients on hand, so I scaled it down for one serving. I topped mine with what happened to be an allergy-friendly mix: cinnamon granola, banana slices, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, and chia seeds. This was delicious--bright and with the lovely tang of the pineapple.

6. Lemony Smashed Pea Toast (Soy Free, Nut Free)


Do you want something bright and green on your toast but avocadoes are giving you sticker shock? Let me introduce you to lemony smashed pea toast (recipe from Flora and Vino). It's not only a beautiful green, it's also a great flavor! I sprinkled my toast with sesame seeds and scallions and served it with a scrambled JUST Egg with mushrooms and spinach and some Cara Cara orange slices.

7. Carrot Lox Bagels with Cream Cheese, Red Onions, and Capers (Soy Free)


This is sort of a repeat, I realize. My very first vegan breakfast compilation post suggested, as its very first entry, mini bagels with this carrot lox and cream cheese, but hey, here's a full sized bagel that includes sliced red onion and capers and I am going to claim that's different enough for me to tell you about it again (with much better photography). I also gave you a refreshed recipe post for the carrot lox not too long ago. It's a seriously good breakfast and yet another way to be sneaky with your morning veggies.

8. Chunky Monkey Quinoa Porridge Bowl (Gluten Free, Soy Free)


I had some leftover quinoa around, so I made this recipe from Vegan Huggs. It has all the chunky monkey flavors you want--banana, chocolate, peanut butter--and is a good, hearty way to start the day. I topped my porridge with sliced banana, chocolate chunks, more peanut butter, and a generous sprinkling of chopped peanuts. 

9. Pumpkin Pie French Toast with Pumpkin Sauce and Bananas (Nut Free)


This is roughly based on a recipe by Liv B, which I made after I saw her YouTube video where she made this with JUST Egg instead of tofu. As with a lot of JUST Egg things, I struggled with it sticking to the pan, but otherwise this was a definite winner. Next time, I will make it with tofu to avoid all that stickiness. The pumpkin sauce is what really makes the dish. It's almost like a shortcut pumpkin butter.

10. Rhubarb Crisp


Rhubarb is a bright pink vegetable that appears in springtime, then vanishes like a memory. It's similar to celery in texture but definitely not in flavor, so this tart veggie usually gets put into something sweet. Here, I have the rhubarb crisp from Holy Cow Vegan alongside some vanilla soy yogurt, and it's seriously good. Vaishali, the recipe developer, says that it's the pecans that take this over the edge into addictive quality, and that's an accurate claim--everything is balanced so well here. Plus, you get to eat fuchsia vegetables for breakfast.


What do you eat for breakfast in the spring?

Comments

  1. I eat the same things I eat all the time, mostly based around oats. It is autumn here and I am still eating oats, but I am enjoying the autumn fruit a lot on them... lots of pears and plums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to the bounty of fruit that comes in early summer! Stone fruits at last...but this is good, too. It's good to have things to look forward to these days.

      Delete
  2. Jennifer, again. Sorry it doesn't show! You know I adore your Vegan Breakfast posts because I'm always looking for ideas! These are wonderful! Cranberry Syrup sounds delightful and on Polenta - I'm game! I posted a mish-mash of foods and other things in today's post. I really need to catch up! YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't make fun things into work! Take care of yourself. I hope you like the polenta if you try it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts