Sequestration Meal #422

 


This meal was created around some weekend meal prep for packed lunches, which is why I have this trio of salads: Spring mix and tomato with Japanese-style carrot-ginger dressing and hemp seeds; dilly white bean salad with cucumber and radishes (recipe from From my Bowl), and purple potato salad (recipe from Solluna). About midway through I realized that this is also a Top 8 allergen-free meal--hey, what do you know?

I've been trying to embrace the "eat the colors" principle more, and this definitely applies! Isn't it fun?

Also, I'm always trying to branch out with ingredients I don't often use, so as it is radish season, I decided to give radishes another try. This recipe was a good start for that, since Caitlin's advice to cut the radishes into matchsticks to make them less pronounced made them less intimidating. It turns out I really liked them that way! Just a bit of crunch and peppery bite to set off the creamy dilly salad.

There is a lot of dill here, really, because I bought fresh dill for once, and dill is also in the potato salad. I was really intrigued by the mashed avocado-based dressing for this salad, aside from being giddy about the purple potatoes. It's a good potato salad and really pretty, but I will admit to liking mayo-based potato salad a bit more (I can't help myself). But mayo and purple potatoes make for a weird, dingy potato salad, from what I remember, and one needs to embrace new things sometimes. Plus, this is what makes this salad allergy-friendly.

As for the carrot-ginger dressing, I'd forgotten how much I love that combo! Most recipes will call for miso but you can either use a non-soy-based miso (like chickpea) or just flat out leave it out (as I often do) if you're avoiding soy. And it gets bonus points for its vibrant color.

Lest you think I usually do this kind of meal prepping, let me reassure you: I don't. I was just in the mood for a kitchen-heavy day, so this is the result. I'm not holding out on you. But sometimes, I get inspired.

Comments

  1. Fanbulously colourful! This just reminder me that I have some purple potatoes that I need to use up. This sounds like a fun way! I am intrigued by avocado based dressing, and I love adding the extra extra extra dill to everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hardly ever find purple potatoes, but they're fun. How do you usually prep them?

      Delete
    2. This is maybe the second time in my life that I've found them, so I don't really have a favourite prep method! I am going to make this potato salad on the weekend with the ones I have.

      Delete
  2. (Jennifer again) - Great looking salads! I have some I will be posting soon, too! You know I LOVE Dill so I'm game for that one for sure! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dill has to be my favorite herb. Not as versatile as some others but SO GOOD.

      Delete
    2. (From Jennifer)...
      I've used Dill in cases where "normal people" would never use Dill and it turns out nicely evenso. Then again - I usually throw stuff together in "odd" ways. LOL :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts