Monbento Square #38 (Double Tier)

 


I promised more pinwheels, and I fulfilled my promise to myself with gusto! This is a spinach-pineapple salad with candied pecans and non-dairy feta with some homemade white wine vinaigrette in the little cup, inspired by this omnivore recipe, a lemony mushroom and cucumber salad inspired by this recipe, and carrot lox and spinach pinwheels with cream cheese, onions, scallions, and capers.

Essentially, I suppose, I wanted to eat all the vegetables. It happens sometimes. It was lighter on protein than I usually want at lunch, but both breakfast and dinner made up for it so I got to have lots of veggies at lunch without it backfiring on me. 

I really liked this pineapple salad! I think the basic lesson I'm absorbing about convincing myself to eat green leafy things is that I mostly want them to be sweet in some way, preferably with something crunchy and something salty to round it out. But pineapple is an unusual fruit to include in a spinach salad, so I was intrigued. I'm glad I made it. I think the dressing I made needs work, but the salad itself was great.

I didn't have parsley for the mushroom and cucumber salad so I improvised with chopped arugula. I think that worked out fine, but I really should have put more salt on this salad. A lesson for next time.

Carrot lox pinwheels are really good; I probably should give a formal recipe sometime. I did give a recipe for carrot lox about five years ago and it remains one of my most popular blog posts in spite of the less-than-stellar photography; I plan to do a separate post on that sometime soon to highlight the smoky goodness. What I did to make pinwheels was to mix Miyoko's cream cheese with a little vegan mayo, finely chopped red onion, scallions, and capers to make a spread for my tortilla. Then, I topped the tortilla with the spread, spinach, and carrot lox, rolled it all up, and sliced it.

As I ate this in my car, sleet was coming down, so it wasn't my best pairing for a picnic--on colder days it's better to have soup or something--but regret is useless at this juncture. And maybe spring will really come sometime, and I can eat my salads and be warm.

Comments

  1. I love the sound of that pinwheel. I have all this cream cheese in my fridge that needs to be eaten by the end of May, so something like that sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good! I love bagels but sometimes you want something else, too. There are tons of things to do with cream cheese, though. I hope you have fun exploring them!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts