Sequestration Meal #423

 


This was supposed to be soup. It is not soup, clearly, but it was delicious anyway!

The recipe is the one for Avgolemono (Greek lemon rice soup) from Food by Maria, although I didn't have brown rice and used some white basmati, and I used Better than Boullion veggie stock paste in place of the stock cubes indicated. I'd wanted to make this soup for a long time, but waited until I had some fresh dill on hand.

It turned out this was more of a rice bowl than a soup, which was a bit disappointing on one level, but the taste was so good! Lemon and dill work so well together. I could have turned it back into soup with some more stock, probably, but it wasn't necessary. The flavors layered beautifully and I'll have smaller portions than this as leftovers as a side dish later.

This is already pretty allergy-friendly, aside from the soy in the miso. There is neither gluten, nor nuts here. If you wanted this to be soy free, too, just use chickpea miso.

Regular visitors here will notice I have a new bowl! Someone at work was getting rid of some odds and ends and gave away this soup bowl and I was so excited to grab it, because I've been wanting a low profile bowl with a reasonable size (not the modern gigantic version) to have for creamy soups and such. Sometimes things work out that way for us. I've had an order from Replacements Ltd. in mind for a long time, but my procrastination benefitted me here: The bowl was free, just what I wanted in shape, and goes well with my existing china.

Comments

  1. Hurrah for a free bowl! Even though it didn't quite turn into a soup, this sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason this is only allowing me to post as "Anonymous" but it's Jennifer. I have to say I'm loving this dish! I, too, have had dishes I intended it to be soup and it was more non-soup like at the end. But they were some of the best tasting attempts I've had, too. So I'm all about these dishes! This one looks and sounds pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm much more likely to make things less soupy than more soupy, and I'm okay with it! ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts