Sequestration Meal #496

 


In a deliberate effort to try to give myself a bit of rest by making easy food, but also to keep from falling into a rut, I tried a new-to-me gochujang miso ramen recipe I found at Lindsey Eats. I swapped some smoked tofu for the egg suggested, and the rest of the recipe was vegan anyway. I would have used a folded JUST Egg if I'd had any, but that has been consistently sold out locally, and thus the tofu. I cut the recipe in half, as usual, so that it would only make one serving.

Unfortunately, I misread the amount of rice vinegar called for and put in half a tablespoon instead of half a teaspoon. It was good, but far too vinegary. I suppose this means I need to try it again with an appropriate amount of vinegar! But it also needed a bit of sweetness, I think, to balance the flavors, so I might also add a pinch of brown sugar if I were to make it again.

The good news is that I can now get the cheap vegan ramen locally, i.e., the "soy sauce flavor" of Top Ramen, which is especially good news given that the price of my beloved kosher no-chicken ramen recently doubled. I can try all sorts of new ramen bowls!

Smoked tofu, by the way, is so underutilized; if you haven't had it, you should really try it. It's very firm and full of protein, and tastes a bit like ham. It's a great option for when you aren't truly up to cooking. Let's face it, we all have those times.

Comments

  1. I love smoked tofu, though it is hard to find here and quite expensive. But given that it isn't readily available, when I do find some it is worth a little splurge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not all that easy to get here but I'm sure it's much easier than it would be in your area. I know of a few stores that sell it, but it's not common to find (unlike plain old extra firm tofu, which is a standard product).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts